Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Cardinal Archbishop of Paris to celebrate EF Mass Sunday 14th December

According to the 'Paix Liturgique' newsletter received today, Mgr Andre Vingt-Trois, Cardinal Archbishop of Paris, will celebrate Mass in the Extraordinary Form at the church of St. Germain d'Auxerrois (1st arrondisement) at 9.45am this coming Sunday December 14.

Deo Gratias for this truly wonderful piece of news. Dare one hope that son ami a l'aurtre cote de la Manche will shortly follow his example?! According to several other items in the rest of the newsletter his Eminence's example is timely because of the various tactics, being used by some other French bishops and clerics to restrict the EF Mass and to make it appear that there is little demand for it from the laity. I trust that PL will follow the precedent set by Una Voce and the Latin Mass Society of England and Wales, and send a document with all the evidence to the Ecclesia Dei Commission.

My own contribution to the Holy Father's Christmas spiritual bouquet will refer to the Cardinal's Mass as having been welcomed here with several chantings of the Te Deum, and I hope some of you will join me.

Does anyone know whether Mgr. Vingt-Trois is the first European Cardinal personally to implement the 'Summorum Pontificum'?

Sadly I won't be able to make the journey to Paris this Sunday. However, I intend to convey my thanks to his Eminence by letter. If any of you would like to co-sign the letter, please let me know either here or by email and I will pp for you. I think it would be good if he could see a favourable international reaction in support both of his own action, and of course of the Holy Father's clear wishes. Between us, we represent the USA, South Africa, England, Scotland, Denmark and the English expatriate community here in France. (My letter will also express gratitude for the French Bishops Conference support of KTO TV.)

ICPP
JM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What amazing news! I'm astonished!it's made my day! Yes please add my name (I've just sent you an email thanking you for the information.) As you say it would be wonderful if the Cardinal's counterpart over here would follow his lead but I shall not hold my breath.

Jane said...

Pelerin:

Stranger things have happened.

Watch out! Pope Benedict's about!

ICPP
J