Saturday, February 25, 2012

'Doing things' for Lent

I didn't choose them. They were sent. I accept them and offer them up. At the moment it is the least and the most that I can do.

Sub-zero temperatures from the beginning of the month until a couple of days ago; the need to keep warm whilst I sit still writing at my desk; the increased heating costs that we can ill afford; when the thaw came, burst pipes  in the kitchen and outside wash house; washing machine now completely out of action and not used during the freeze in any case for obvious reasons; plumber came midweek and mended four pipes with resultant bill that we've just about managed to pay; further severe  frosts on the next two days - still no washing done; thought it safe to try today but the machine flooded the outhouse floor and a further leak appears to have sprung from another joint in the plumbing. Monsieur le Plombier, will have to return and will then need to be paid for his ministrations, despite the fact that he is very kind and does  not overcharge.

Both Colin and I are pushing 70 now, and as some of you know, neither of us is any longer in the pink of health.. Nevertheless, as my father always used to say, 'There is always someone worse off than yourself'. Indeed how true that always was, and particularly so now, with Christians being martyred and persecuted all over the world. And since the winter set in I've been daily concerned about how Fr George is managing at Holy Souls Hermitage.  Not to mention the Holy Father's crushing burden. In all conscience, plenty to pray about, and to be glad to have a little something to 'offer up'.

2 comments:

Richard Collins said...

A good disposition to have Jane, I take heart from your post.

I think the Spanish sum it up well in the proverb:
"I cried because I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"

Jane said...

Thanks for that wonderfully instructive proverb Richard.

God bless!