Saturday, November 29, 2008

Bishops Finigan, Blake, Conlon...???: not as impossible as one might have thought!!

News from NLM (see sidebar)indicates that the Holy Father is indeed prepared to raise parish and assistant parish priests to the episcopate where necessary to his plans. If he has done it in France, there is no reason on earth why he should not do it in England and Wales.

The three most worthy names in the title of this post are well known examples of many others, bloggers and non-bloggers alike, upon whom the Holy Father could call in order to begin a proper reform of the reform in England and Wales. Absolutely nobody will convince me that he does not know who they are and where they live. To place some of them in strategic dioceses would be a highly effective way of forwarding his wishes for the Church in those countries, possibly even more so than raising one of them to Westminster. Half a dozen such priests in the Bishops Conference would have more chance of breaking the mould of that body than if one of them were given the charge of doing this singlehandedly as the new Archbishop of Westminster.

According to the 'Tablet', the Pope wants to see Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor when he is in Rome early next month, in order to discuss the Westminster succession. If pro-Conference pundits are correct in their constant assertion that the decision is already made and we are going to get Abp Vincent Nichols, why wasn't his name accepted from the first 'terna' submitted to his Holiness? What can there be left to 'discuss' if the decision is already made? Who used the word 'discuss', the Holy See or the Tablet? In principle it is essential that the Holy Father should hear the opinion of the retiring Cardinal about his possible successor. Courtesy alone demands it. But it certainly does not mean that His Holiness should or will act in accordance with that opinion. In any case there is no precedent since all previous Cardinals of England and Wales have died in office, and the Holy Father already knows his Eminence's views from the 'terna'.

It has been a long and anxious wait and from recent reports one has the sensation that Pope Benedict does not want to prolong it much further. The rumour now is that we will know before Christmas.

On 'Holy Smoke', I have always favoured prayer over speculation on this matter and until the announcement is made, will continue to follow my own counsel and pray without ceasing.

In Christo pro Papa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is indeed great news and bodes well for future appointments. I attended an EF Mass at St Eugene-Ste Cecile in October. It turned out to be an anniversary Requiem so many were there to remember the person who had died and not as I was because it was an EF. The black vestments and singing of the Dies Irae was deeply symbolic but it was obvious that many present found it all rather baffling. On leaving the Church one lady said to me, when I commented on the beauty of the liturgy, 'but we didn't DO anything'. As she was showing me the way to the Metro I felt disinclined to argue with her! Perhaps I should have taken the opportunity of talking about the EF but as she had known the deceased I felt it was probably not the right place to do so.

Anonymous said...

I see that the new auxilliary bishop elect used to be the PP at Ste Jeanne-de -Chantal. Quite a surprise as this is such a modern church - I believe it is where Cardinal Lustiger was once the PP.
A complete contrast to St Eugene.
It will be interesting to see whether the present evening EF Masses are continued there.

Jane said...

Pelerin:

Good to hear from you again.
I suppose the deceased must have asked for an EF or someone close must have done. Your lady, if she knew the deceased probably also knew more than she said, perhaps about the ecclesiasical stance of the family concerned.

The doing nothing comment comes as no surprise does it? All to do with one's understanding of the verb 'faire' in a liturgical context! There's a long way to go.
But as Fr Z says, 'brick by brick'.

I'm sure 'Paix Liturgique' will make sure the Masses continue. I'm not clear where the parish is. Please let me know and I'll contact them through their internetworking site.

Thanks for this info. and please keep in touch.

In Christo pro Papa
J

Anonymous said...

Jane - St Eugene is off the Boulevard Poissonniere in Paris (M. Bonne Nouvelle) in the 9th arr. Unfortunately I only learnt about it just before my last visit. It was good to meet you last week and I look forward to hearing more news from your Oasis especially the visit from the IBP!

Jane said...

Pelerin,

Thanks for the info.

Now of course, I'm wondering which one you were of the many people I met on Nov. 22nd!!

I think I may have guessed but if you wish to remain anon. that's fine but if you care to enlighten me, for the sake of privacy you can email me on:
probenoit16@live.com

Thanks again with best wishes and prayers for a holy and fruitful Advent.
ICPP
J

Anonymous said...

Agree with you about +Vncent. My suspicion is that the HF wants to do CMOC the courtesy of informing him of his thoughts.

We certainly need a 'surprise' appointment, the situation is so dire here.

Jane said...

clare a:
Yes indeed! Judging from Damian's latest post the situation worsens by the day.

We're a strong breed, as our history shows, but I do hope and pray Papa B will come to our rescue soon.

ICPP