Friday, May 22, 2009

'Benedictine' Roses and a 'John Pauline' Clematis. Report from the Oasis Garden

Ever since the planting season began this year, work in the garden has been slow. March was slightly better than usual from the point of view of fewer high winds and no hail storms. It was however quite cool and there was frequent rain. The swallows arrived late but built their nests as doughtily as ever, not this year, as has formerly been their wont, under out eaves. It was a relief not to have to discourage them. Perhaps they sensed it wasn't safe, and if so, they were right, as we had the front of the house painted towards the end of the month. Before that, the Holy Father went in the direction from which they had come and we had to follow him via kto and/or EWTN. Then, it was Easter before one could turn round, and more wonderful liturgies from Rome not to be missed.

I managed to get some potatoes in before May arrived and then the incessant rain began. Until two days ago, it has been the worst May in my memory of twenty years in this area. Gardening was impossible and so my wonderful plan for getting a great deal done during the week before the Holy Father set off for Jordan came to nothing. Then of course, a few hours before his plane left for Amman, my husband broke his leg............ The following week of shock and fear was taken up with anxious visits to the hospital alternating with the tension of viewing the albeit excellent TV coverage of 'The Pilgrim of Peace'. The rain continued and so at least I didn't have to feel guilty about not gardening!

During the first three weeks of the month, in frequent visits to the garden afforded by the short spells between rain storms, I noted that, as expected, the weeds were coming up with a vengeance. But I noted other things that I greeted with joy. I'm going to tell you about some of these because they demonstrate several things....first, what Cardinal Newman called 'God's little providences', second that gardening reflects the spiritual life in many ways, as I have tried to show in all my published books, (particularly in the Introduction to the first) but third, in recent weeks, I have come to a deepening awareness of things I've always known about gardening in its relation to the life of contemplative prayer and its results in action.

Last year by accident (?), I found in the supermarket plant sale, a clematis named for Pope John Paul II. Until then I had not been aware that such a clematis existed. Naturally, it came home with me and was planted in the Advent section of the garden against the eastern fence. We had terrible frosts during the winter and I thought it was dead. Not so. I discovered at Easter that it was very much alive and much more robust than it had been last year. It had begun to climb and was in bud. The flower opened whilst Pope Benedict was in the Holy Land, I cannot give the exact day, but I know that by the time our present Holy Father returned to the Vatican on May 15, that flower was fully open and is the size of a small saucer in diameter. It is white with purple stamens. Superfluous to labour the symbolism here. But perhaps not so, to admit that I wept by the eastern fence and thanked Pope John Paul, who I believe, interceded continually for his successor in circumstances much more difficult and complex that those he faced during his own visit to the Holy Land in 2000. It wasn't necessary for me to ask him to continue this intercession, only essential that I unite myself with it, which I did.

I think it is in the film 'The Pontificate of Reason' that Pope Benedict says to an interviewer very shortly after his election, that he feels 'the Holy Father' very close to him and that they still talk to each other. (At that stage Joseph Ratzinger had not properly realised that HE was now the Holy Father! But as they say, that is another story.)

7 comments:

pelerin said...

Jane - just to say the inevitable happened and I lost all Internet connection last week! How I have missed it! Last night after much fiddling got it back but in a different way and still am unable to send or receive emails hence contacting this way. (Delete when read!)

I'm so glad I've got it back for today as it is a wet and windy bank holiday here and I always find bank hols very bleak to endure...

Having got kto back too shall probably watch a programme or two on there. Before the Internet disappeared completely I lost anything which moved for several days (apart strangely from Fr Ray's Vatican flag which boldly kept flying!) but could no longer watch France 2 news.

With every good wish
Liz

Jane said...

Pelerin:

How utterly frustrating! Have you still no email facility? Going to the hospital this pm. and will see Colin's consultant. Will attempt to email you when I get back, which I intended to do in any case. I'm leaving your comment in case someone else sees it and offers some helpful diagnostic and curative advice.Have you tried turning off and unplugging everything, then replugging in and starting up again in the normal way?

Love
J
x

pelerin said...

Hello Jane - yes done all the unplugging and turning off several times last week. A neighbour came in yesterday and checked behind telling me that all that seemed ok. Still persevered and as I said recovered the internet last night - stayed up till 1pm catching up on blogs etc!!

Am pleased I can now 'look things up' although it is more complicated and have lost my favourites list as I have no toolbar (learning the jargon now you see!). Still cannot locate where the email page is hidden and of course my list of email addresses is on that. Have typed in several questions - I am not the only one to have lost the toolbar - but answers are always in gobbledigook. (I wonder what the French for this is!!)

I don't mind your leaving it up - as you say someone may come up with an idea but don't want to clutter up your Comments with correspondence. When I locate the email page I''ll let you know.

Do hope your visit this afternoon saw an improvement in your husband's condition. Am glad you are able to get on with the gardening which will be a good distraction for you from all the worry involved.

Hope to hear from you soon - L

Jane said...

Pelerin:

I've sent you a test email. If it gets through please try to email me and/or either way let me know here what's happening.

Not much traffic on here anyway and I'm happy and relieved we still have this method of communicating.

Love,
J

pelerin said...

A test email is no use because I cannot find the page to log on to the emails! There is nothing indicating emails I can see. I thought I got near when I was able to put in my email address and password somewhere (don't ask me where as I cannot remember) but it told me that they were invalid so that was a wrong path.

Never have been good with machines. Always found them baffling and have been surprised that so far it has been ok. Think I've had it for 3 years or so and don't know how I managed without one.

Its pouring again now. But yesterday was a glorious summer day here - a foretaste of things to come I hope. We have been told by the 'experts' that we are in for a good summer - I'll believe it when I see it. All this rain is bringing up the weeds beautifully but I do have some nice peonies just popping out.

Bonne nuit Jane - repose-toi bien. luv liz

Jane said...

Pelerin:

Have you thought of opening another email account with different server, address and password? My probenoit16 one is Windows Live Hotmail and I found it quite simple to set up. Why don't you google that and go from there.

I really need to talk to you about the 'Tour d'aout'!! If you give me your phone number I would jot it down and then delete the comment, unpublished of course. Then I'd ring you asap. I may be better able to help you with computer problems if you're sitting in front of the computer as we talk.

In the meantime do keep in touch via here.

Love,
Jane
x

Jane said...

Pelerin:

Thanks for your latest comment which I'm leaving unpublished. I'll wait until the end of the week and hope the computer can be sorted out then. The problem with the "T. d'A." is I don't know what state Colin will be in by then and I'm conscious of needing to make certain decisions before very long.

If you've no email by the beginning of next week, I'll continue to send coded messages here!

God bless you,
Love,
J
x