Saturday, May 16, 2009

Holy Father back home; husband in 'maison de repos': Deo gratias!

I have to admit that even before my husband's accident, neither of us was looking forward to the week just past. Both of us were very anxious for the Holy Father's safety, wondered what he would achieve by this journey to the Holy Land, and quite frankly wished that he was not going to undertake this 'marathon'.

As it turned out, worry for my husband's survival and the shock of his being taken to hospital just a few hours before the Holy Father set off from Rome, was paramount whilst His Holiness was in Jordan. The minute Colin was out of danger, off went Pope Benedict to Israel and the balance of anxiety shifted. (In spite of everything I 've managed to see everything via kto or EWTN and will comment later on details.)

Next came the Yad Vashem visit and discourse, after which I came from the computer muttering, "That won't be enough for them. They'll be at you." And sure enough, they were. Like many others, I feared that this one occasion would dictate the measure of success or failure of the beloved 'Pilgrim Of Peace'.

On Thursday I was told that the next day, Colin would be moved to a convalescent hospital nearer home and will remain there for about a month. And so it transpired that whilst our Holy Father was giving his farewell address at Tel Aviv airport, Colin was in the ambulance going to the new hospital and was ensconced there just as the Papal plane took off for Rome.

Colin has a pin in his thigh and will have to learn to walk again. He will have to live downstairs and I'm having to reorganise the whole ground floor of the house to accommodate this, including putting a shower, basin and loo in the room which up to now has been my study. All that represents something of a military campaign, I can tell you! Thank God, I'm trained in the principles of work study and time and motion! And that I will have help when it comes to moving heavy furniture.

Yesterday was a day of great relief for me all round. When Colin is well enough I will tease him about organising his accident to distract us from our worries about the Pope.

And his Holiness?....... It strikes me that only the deeply mean-spirited and intransigent naysayer will see his 859 words of farewell to the Holy Land, as anything other than a triumph for the things he holds so dear in all his efforts and prayers. My double novena for his safety and intention for his pilgrimage ended yesterday. Tonight, I start a new one of thanksgiving which will end whilst he is at Monte Cassino next Sunday. kto are broadcasting his Mass and also Vespers later in the day. Have not checked EWTN but imagine they will cover one or the other if not both.

On a personal level I want to say a wholehearted and huge thank you to all our friends who have been supporting us with prayer and concern via this blog, emails, Facebook messages, cards and telephone calls. Here in France two sets of friends have been unstinting in their care and have been ferrying me to and from the hospital whenever necessary. You have all been such a wonderful help and support. And in the darkest hours of lonliness and fear, I have been able to offer up all that has been happening and place everything in the hands of Our Lord and His dear Mother and ours.

God bless all here, and may He sustain our Pope, give him life and make him blessed upon the earth'.

Welcome home dear Papa Benedetto! Ad multos annos!

4 comments:

Annie said...

I'm so glad Colin's on the mend, having him closer to home must be a great relief too! Lovely to have you posting again :)
Still both in my prayers, love Annie

Jane said...

Thanks Annie,

As you can imagine, my mind is a whirl of things I want to post about the Holy Father's pilgrimage. I may manage something tomorrow, but Monday if not then.

God bless and lots of love and prayers,
Jane

leutgeb said...

Good to hear that your husband is on the mend.

Jane said...

Thanks Leutgeb,

I've been following your progress via your blog. Don't overdo it!!!
Prayers for your full recvery,

All best,
Jane