Friday, July 23, 2010

Tagged for Mac's Prayer Meme by 'Stella Maris'

Before I wade into the tagging and linking, a note about why Meme's can be productive, particularly at this time when orthodox catholics need to get together, and nail their colours to the mast of the Barque of Peter as publicly and as definitely as they can. So special thanks to Mac for starting this one.

To start with, the Meme is a way that better known and more widely read bloggers can give 'a leg up' to lesser known blogs. Sometimes one's attention is drawn to like-minded blogs about which one had not previously known. This has just happened in my own case. I've been tagged by Fr Abberton who writes the 'Stella Maris' blog, and I was delighted, more because I now have him on my bloglist than because of the meme itself. (Not only that, but it turns out that Father was born in Sheffield, as was I, and that he is still in Yorkshire. A real find. )

Before giving my three favourite prayers and the taglist I must say a thank you to Father for including in his post, a clear set of instructions for exercising the meme

Of course Mac must know what a difficult task she has set us. To begin with, what does 'favourite' mean. Does it mean those prayers we love to offer because we find them consoling, or does it mean those which we love to say with great frequency as part of our daily routine? If one lists the Rosary as one of one's favourites a difficulty arises because whilst the Rosary IS a prayer of a most special kind it is actually made up of several prayers, including the Our Father, the Hail Mary and the Salve Regina at the end. It is indeed a favourite of mine; so is the Angelus, so is the Litany of Loreto. These three are part of my daily routine, so perhaps that could be my list of three, The Rosary, the Angelus, the Litany. However, I think I'll try to interpret Mac's 'favourite' as meaning single, discrete prayers, and even then it's a difficult choice to make. In the end I decided to solve the problem by making my list of three prayers which I first committed to memory more than fifty years ago and which I have consistently prayed ever since. Of course I imbibed the Our Father, the Hail Mary and the Glory be before thatYou'll just have to take it that they are the bedrock and excuse me if you think I've chaeated.

So here are the three, not in any order of preference.

1. The Memorare
I love this because it always fills me with peace, confidence and security in Our blessed Mother's concern for us and protection of us. It makes me feel connected with that moment at the foot of the Cross when our Lord spoke to the disciple he loved and to His mother.

2. Prayer to the Holy Spirt. 'Come O Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of the faithful and enkindle in them the fire of thy love. etc.I love this because otherwise I might forget the powerful fire of creativity of the Spirit. And it reminds me that the Holy Spirit is Wisdom and Consolation.

3. The Commendation
Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul.
Jesus, Mary and Joseph, assist me in my last agony.
Jesus, Mary and Joseph, may I breathe forth my soul in peace with you.

When I was young, I prayed this with some trepidation. Now I pray it with great urgency. It is very precious to me.


Here are the people I have tagged: Richard Marsden of 'Bashing Secularism';

Annie of the LMS Arundel and Brighton blog;

Fr S. of 'Clerical Reform';

Fr. Sean of Valle Adurni

and Brian of 'Whitesmoke Ahoy'.

If any of them have already been tagged,please let me know and I'll find other candidates!

Protect the Pope through Prayer, Truth and the Law.
God bless all here
In Christo pro Papa
J