Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve 2008/9: At the Gate of the Year

I want to share something very precious with all my dear friends.

"And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year: 'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown'. And he replied: 'Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.'"

From 'The Desert' M. Louise Haskins (1875-1957) Quoted by King George VI in his Christmas Day broadcast, 1939

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jane - I never knew where this beautiful quotation came from before.

Bonne Annee!

Jane said...

Thanks Pelerin:

I read it aloud every New Year's Eve for myself and whoever is with me, so this year, for the first time, just had to include all the wonderful people, including yourself, whom I have met through this blog.

I haven't read the rest of 'The Desert' and do not know whether it's still in print. A little gentle Internet research is in order! Hope you got my email.

God bless,
J
X

umblepie said...

Thank you Jane, for this inspiring prayer. Best wishes for 2009. Brian