Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pergolesi Stabat Mater - Cambridge ensemble 01



Whilst I get on with 'Stanbrook 5', here is a treasure to enjoy in celebration of tomorrow's memoria of the Seven Holy Founders of the Servite order, and to put us in a Lenten frame of mind.

Personal memory: this was the first piece of Catholic music I ever learned, at least the chorus parts, for a public performance in Sheffield City Hall when I was 13. It was a civic thing and not organised by the RC church. The young choir was selected from schools across the city. How I got in I have absolutely no idea. It was a good two or three years before I took Catholic instruction and certainly had no idea at the time about conversion from the C. of E. But Latin is good for you, so 'Forest Murmurs' said today. It was always good for me. With the Stabat Mater of Pergolesi a door began to open.

Hope to post other parts of this during Lent.

No comments: