Thursday, February 17, 2011

Stanbrook Abbey series alert:photos of the empty Abbey

Will try to get to the next stage tonight. In the meantime do check this link to 'Amazing Retreats' who bought Stanbrook Abbey. Do not let the word 'Retreats' raise your hopes too much. Do have a look at the gallery of about 70 photographs (internal and external) for a poignant, and to me very upsetting, impression of what the nuns have left behind. They are valuable photographs. I think they were taken before the 'refurbishment' began. Click on each small image to enlarge. tMy heart lurched and I was brought to tears by many of these images, particularly of the deserted choir stalls, the Abbey's two cemeteries and the library shelves now stripped of their precious volumes.

If you have tears, prepare to shed them now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heart-breaking! Could not bring myself to view the photos. Who now owns these exquisite buildings?

--William

Jane said...

William:
Answer to your question about who owns the buildings now: 'Amazing Retreats'. You don't have to view the photos if you go to their site, but honestly I think you should.

I realise that you may be the William I used to know on 'Holy Smoke' Forgive me if not.

Anonymous said...

Alas, dear Jane, I am not he!

--William

Jane said...

William:
Neverthelesss, you are more than welcome. Please stay with me.