Friday, September 24, 2010

My latest letter from the Vatican about the Litany of Loreto

BACKGROUND FOR THOSE UNAWARE OF MY LETTER TO THE HOLY FATHER, and its history so far.

In early April this year I wrote to the Holy Father humbly asking him to consider the addition to the Litany of an invocation of Our Lady Queen and Mother of Priests. On April 30 I posted here about my intense disappointment in the 'standard' letter of response I had received from the assessor at the Secretariat of State. (See blog archive 'Reply received to my letter to the Holy Father')

Acting on the advice of Fr Mark Kirby OSB, on May 5, enclosing copies of the relevant correspondence, I wrote to Archbishop Piacenza at the Congregation for Clergy, and to Msgr Calkins at Ecclesia Dei (CDF). About a fortnight later Msgr Calkins replied to me by email explaining how the Secretariat of State operates with regard to correspondence addressed to the Holy Father, and how it sifts is. (see the June 1st post on my Spiritual Mothers of Priests blog 'email from my contact in Rome'. Link to that blog and its archive in the sidebar here, 6th item down from the Pope's picture at the top.)

Once July ended I didn't expect to hear from Archbishop Piacenza until after the Roman summer recess, but continued to pray daily about the Litany, along with my usual devotions, including daily Novena and Rosary for the Holy Father and his visit to UK. The Archbishop's gracious, kind and informative letter arrived on the morning of the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows, a devotion which has been special to me for 50 years. I gave special thanks to her this year. Here is the text of the letter:

"Vatican City, 9 September 2010

Dear Mrs Fulthorpe,

Thank you for your kind letter of 5 May last, expressing your desire for a new title in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary to be inserted into the litany.

The Dicastery wishes to inform you that your correspondence has been transferred to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the discipline of the Sacraments, since it is of their competence. Please be assured that your letter was read with appreciation, particularly with regard to your devotion and prayer directed to the spiritual motherhood of priests.

With an assurance of prayers and best wishes, I remain,

Yours sincerely in Christ

(signature in black pen)

+Mauro Piacenza

Titular Archbishop of Vittoriana

Secretary "



.................................................................



Profound gratitude to Archbishop Piacenza, Monsignor Calkins and Fr. Mark, and to all of you who have prayed about this matter.

Now we know where my letter is. let's pray for a reply from the appropriate dicastery, shall we say, in time for the Presentation of Our Lady on November 21.

Blessed John Henry Newman, pray for our intentions regarding the Litany of Loreto.

2 comments:

sandy. said...

Good news Jane,and as you say,at least you know where your letter is.I pray that your request is granted.

Jane said...

Thanks for your comment Sandy and for your prayers.