Thursday, February 3, 2011

The festivity of Saint Blaise, the patron of Dubrovnik



This film, I think made for distribution by UNESCO, is interesting, but its commentary falls short for me because it concentrates on the cultural, historical, and doesn't sufficiently address the spiritual. It twice refers to the 'worship' of saints. Tut, Tut!

I think I last had my throat blessed on St. Blaise's day in the late sixties, probably at Holy Apostles, Pimlico in London, or it may have been in Sheffield at St. Vincent's Solly Street.... It is a dim, distant but treasured memory. Do please let me know if you are aware of a church in England and Wales where the Blessing of Throats still takes place on this day..

Anyway, have a holy and happy feast of Saint Blaise.

1 comment:

Marc said...

We here in the US face many challenges etc etc but in every parish I've lived in over the last 30 years (five or six dioceses, all over geographically) the blessing on St Blaise's Day has happened; why that is, when so much else has vanished, I have no idea.